UK Employee Ownership Awards
THE ANNUAL UK EMPLOYEE OWNERSHIP AWARDS ARE
THE MOST SOUGHT AFTER ACCOLADES FOR ALL THOSE
INVOLVED IN EMPLOYEE OWNERSHIP IN THE UK
The Annual UK Employee Ownership Awards celebrate the significant contribution Employee Owned businesses (EOBs) make to the UK economy.
The awards recognise the productivity, innovation and excellence driven by teams and individuals in EOBs, which demonstrate how employees having a stake in the business teamed with a robust culture of transparency and employee engagement result in outstanding performance in growth and resilience.
The Awards, managed by the Employee Ownership Association, will be sponsored again in 2017 by leading EOA member Baxendale, an EOB specialising in providing support to, and raising finance for, employee owned businesses, public service mutuals and social enterprises.
The UK Employee Ownership Awards will be presented at the EOA Gala Dinner on the first evening of the EOA Annual Conference on 27 November 2017 at the Hilton Metropole Hotel Birmingham.
Applying for the awards not only helps you to tell your story, share your success and raise the profile of your business, but also shines a light on the employee ownership sector as a whole.
You can submit your nominations for the below awards via our portal. You can sign in or register now and you can update your submission right up to the deadline of 5pm on Thursday 7th September 2017.
Free to Enter
The awards are free to enter and nominations will be judged by an independent panel of employee ownership experts, chaired by the Employee Ownership Association.
EOA Gala Dinner
The Awards will be presented at the EOA Gala Dinner on the first evening of the EOA Annual Conference on 27th November 2017 at the Hilton Metropole Hotel, Birmingham.
Nominations Close In
THE CATEGORIES IN THE 2017 AWARDS ARE
- Employee Owned Business of the YearThis Award, for well established employee owned businesses, focuses on brilliant performance in the sector. It recognises the best all round performance of an employee owned company during the year to September 2017 and the business must be able to show a direct correlation between their employee ownership status/culture and their business performance.
- Employee Owned Positive Impact of the YearThis Award recognises and celebrates pioneering, positive or lasting impact generated by employee owned businesses, over and above their financial performance. It will assess to what extent organisational ethics and values are embedded within the mission and governance and to what extent organisational operating models are aligned around these same values, in order that impact is delivered to employees, communities in which the businesses operate or wider society.
- Employee Owned Rising Star of the YearEndorsed by John Lewis Partnership, this Award recognises the success of an organisation that has become employee owned no more than three years prior to September 2017. It celebrates a business that is already, in its early life, becoming an effective company with a strong culture of employee ownership and commitment to engaging its workforce.
- Employee Owner of the YearThis Award celebrates an individual, irrespective of their seniority and whether they operate on the front line of the business or not, who is as true champion of employee ownership within their organisation and has done the most to develop and promote employee ownership inside their business and beyond.
- Employee Owned Innovation of the YearThis Award celebrates the most compelling example of innovation within an employee owned organisation. The innovation must be currently enhancing the services and/or products of the business and the outcomes the business achieves.
- Philip Baxendale Fellowship AwardThis Award seeks nominations proposing a single individual who has in the past made, or is currently making, an outstanding contribution to the growth of employee ownership in the UK. The winner of this Award will be someone who has an indisputable commitment to employee ownership and whose influence and impact within the sector is clear and widely recognised.
Thanks to this year’s judges:
- Ewan Hall, Director, Baxendale
- Anne Segall, Chief Executive, BMT Group Ltd
- Simon Holman, Partner, Castlefield Partners Limited
- Jane Burgess, Partners’ Counsellor, John Lewis Partnership
- Jean–Claude Pierre, CEO, Scott Bader
- Patrick Burns, Non-Exec Director, the eaga Trust & The EOA
- Beth Carruthers, Non-Exec Director, Remploy Ltd
- Sue Rowlands, Director, Tibbalds Planning & Urban Design Ltd
- Andrew Pendleton, White Rose Employee Ownership Centre
How to Apply
Please click here and you’ll be directed to the nominations portal.
The closing date for nominations is: 5pm on Thursday 7th September 2017. All shortlisted nominations will be advised by the end of October 2017.
2017 UK EO Awards Sponsor
2016 UK EMPLOYEE OWNERSHIP AWARDS WINNERS
- Employee Owned Business of the Year - Childbase
Childbase Partnership which runs 44 nurseries with a staff of 1625 has used its 16 years as an employee owned company to embed values and behaviours that drive excellence.
The culture is one of everyone having a voice which includes each nursery having an elected Employee Ownership Ambassador trained and empowered to represent staff on all major strategic decisions.
Childbase has delivered significant achievements in one of its best year’s ever. This includes introducing the Living Wage 5 months ahead of Government’s deadline and extending this to all partners and not just those over the age of 25, as required, been recognised by its 5th appearance in the Sunday Times Best 100 Companies to Work For and received the ‘Making the World a better workplace for 10 years’ award and being in the top 10 in the Annual Day Nursery Awards parent ratings both regionally and nationally.
Childbase with the UK Employee Owned Business of the Year Award 2016
- Rising Star of the Year - RISE Mutual CIC
RISE CIC has developed a culture of regular employee communications and consultation, establishing working groups as well as offering financial benefits and employee development to help employees in their role or gain promotion within the company as it grows.
In its first 18 months the mutual, which delivers a range of programmes designed to facilitate change in behaviour for prisoners, has seen rapid growth which looks set to continue.
Specifically RISE has seen as a 3% increase in operating profit, retained and increased its staff by 43 with 7% progressing into more senior roles, won 65% of the contracts it has bid for, and gained an 85% satisfaction rate on the programmes it runs.
RISE Mutual CIC with the UK Employee Owned Rising Star of the Year Award 2016
- Employee Owner of the Year - Lucy Humphrey, Leading Lives
Lucy has created an upward trajectory in her career at Leading Lives since it spun-out from Suffolk County Council in 2012 and used this as a platform to champion and promote employee ownership throughout the organisation and beyond.
She was voted on to the board and subsequently became its chair in 2014 contributing to the company’s success in achieving business growth in and beyond the county borders.
Lucy’s colleagues feel she lives and breathes employee ownership which she demonstrated by instigating a series of roadshows to capture member opinion and critically review how successfully a culture of employee engagement has been created across the organisation – attending each event in her own time.
Lucy Humphrey with the UK Employee Owner of the Year Award 2016
- Innovation of the Year - Union Industries
When the manufacturing company of high quality bespoke products Union Industries became employee owned in 2014, it started encouraging staff ideas in its ‘Eureka bath’ – a tin tub positioned in the main office, with a slot to post ideas.
From this small idea came the big idea to make one of their highest selling products, the Eiger Door – already an innovative product that helps to help maintain critical temperatures in industrial freezers – more energy efficient to deliver savings and reduced carbon footprint for its customers.
The upgraded door showed an energy saving result of up to 52% and has had excellent take-up from both new and existing customers.
Union Industries with the UK Employee Owned Innovation of the Year Award 2016
- Philip Baxendale Fellowship Award - David Erdal
After gaining his BA in Chinese from Oxford, followed by two years teaching in Mao’s China, and armed with a MBA from Harvard, David Erdal joined the family business Tullis Russell.
In 1985 he took Tullis Russell into employee ownership with the distribution of shares to the entire 1,700-strong workforce and the company became fully employee owned in 1994. Driven by David’s passion, the company fostered leaders that have subsequently gone on to found and grow other employee owned businesses.
David became a founding member of the Employee Ownership Association (EOA) after meeting Robert Oakeshott. He sat as an EOA board member through the membership of Tullis Russell and subsequently as Managing Director of Baxi Partnership (now Baxendale) and eventually replaced Robert as the EOA Executive Director when he stepped down.
It was from 2000, as Managing Director of Baxi Partnership Ltd, that David launched a capital fund that has supported the creation of over 20 employee owned companies employing in excess of 2,000 people.
David’s impact across the sector has been vast and as a result of completing his PhD he authored “Psychology of Sharing; an evolutionary approach”, and then went on to write about the transition of iconic Loch Fyne Oyster Company’s to employee ownership, followed by “Beyond the Corporation: Humanity Working” which was published in 2011.
David Erdal with the Philip Baxendale Fellowship Award 2016
- Highly CommendedUK Employee Ownership Awards Highly Commended Gallery
2016 UK EMPLOYEE OWNERSHIP AWARDS GALLERY
2015 UK EMPLOYEE OWNERSHIP AWARDS WINNERS
- Employee Owned Business of the Year - GrippleThe award of the Employee Owned Business of the Year to Gripple is the culmination of a phenomenal story of success for the entire business. And as one of the most vocal champions for employee ownership, is great for the sector as a whole too.
This well regarded and well known business has quite deservedly been recognised by the sector, in what has been its most successful year to date.
Gripple with the UK Employee Owned Business of the Year Award 2015
- Rising Star of the Year - RemployRemploy, is a phenomenal example of how a new employee owned business can deliver immediate benefits. Through their commitment to employee engagement and inclusive governance, Remploy has started its new co-owed life in the best possible way, and truly exemplifies this accolade.
Remploy with the UK Employee Owned Rising Star of the Year Award 2015
- Employee Owner of the Year - Dr David Hodgkinson, QuintessaDr David Hodgkinson is a well-deserved winner of this year’s Employee Owner of the Year Award – as it recognises the commitment and engagement undertaken to bring employee ownership to life within Quintessa, and demonstrates perfectly significant benefits that employee ownership can deliver through enhanced employee engagement.
Dr David Hodgkinson (centre right) and the Quintessa team with the UK Employee Owner of the Year Award 2015
- Innovation of the Year - Green Light Healthcare LtdGreen Light Healthcare Ltd and their committed team of employee-owners are hugely deserving of this award. The ideas and actions delivered are a perfect example of how employee owned businesses use their employee engagement to drive increased innovation and business growth.
Green Light Healthcare Ltd with the UK Employee Owned Innovation of the Year Award 2015
- Philip Baxendale Fellowship Award - Patrick Burns, ProspectsPatrick is a most deserving winner of the coveted accolade, the Philip Baxendale Fellowship Award. Patrick is not only a vocal champion for the sector, but has personally influenced its development through his various roles and responsibilities, and will remain an ambassador and champion of the employee owned sector as it continues to flourish.
Patrick Burns of Prospects (left) with the Philip Baxendale Fellowship Award 2015, accompanied by Campbell McDonald (right), Managing Director of Baxendale
- Highly Commended
Employee Owned Business of the Year:
- Bristol Community Health
- Max Fordham
Rising Star of the Year
- National Self Build and Renovation Centre
- Rowlinson Knitwear
Employee Owner of the Year
- Simon Charrington, Donald Insall Associates
- Simon La Fosse, La Fosse Associates
- Alex Rae, Wise Investment
Innovation of the Year
- Care Plus Group
- Highland Home Carers / Boleskine Community Care